Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Opelika, Alabama

We traveled today to Opelika, Alabama. My husband is taking photos at the First Baptist in the historic district downtown. I have not had the time to explore the town yet but I hope to do that on Friday for our activity day.

We dropped my husband off at the church & helped him unload his equipment & then ate lunch at Cracker Barrel. We then went to find our hotel. I had made reservations a few days ago & found out that there was graduation this weekend for Auburn University so everyplace that we would normally stay was filled. The Best Western did have rooms but their rate went up to $125.00 on the last night so I decided to look elsewhere.

We made reservations for the Econolodge. I am not a fan of Econolodge, but they advertised that they had a fridge/microwave in the room which is essential for us. Plus the rate was where we needed it to be at ($70.00 or less per night). So I booked online for a non-smoking room. When we got there however, they did not have a non-smoking room available & my son has problems with smoke so I wasn't real happy. The front desk employees were really nice & said we could check the room if we wanted, so we went up to look at it. Really bad smoke & honestly the hotel is just not kept up properly, so I would not recommend anyone stay there.

We went ahead & paid for the room just to make sure we had a place to stay but it was only about 1:00 their time & I knew we could cancel the reservation by 4pm & not be charged, so we drove to the Best Western. It was in a much nicer area of town & was a higher quality hotel, so I was hoping they would still have rooms available. After talking to the desk clerk he knocked $40.00 off the Internet rate for Friday night plus dropped $10.00 off the other nights so we will end up paying on average less than $69.00 a night (plus tax), & it is non-smoking...yeah!

So we went back to the other hotel, cancelled the reservation & finally settled in at the Best Western. N... is doing school work right now as I work on my blog. At 9:00 tonight I will go & pick up my husband from work, so it turned out to be a more hectic day than I had planned.

I will write more later after I research Opelika & get some first hand information on sites & eats along with some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment